Hello! I'm a new hacker who has bitten off more than he can chew

Hello! I’ve lurked around here a bit over the past few weeks so I figured I’d say hi. More importantly, I will use this greeting as an excuse to beg for assistance because I’m in way over my head.

A group of friends and I have started building out own FE8 hack. He have plans for a massive cast, supports, 30 chapters and I’m sure you’re all chuckling at the poor youth with his head in the clouds already.

We originally had someone who knew FE7 hacking, but he’s been swamped by work so now I’ve been trying to learn how to hack and hexcode. I’ve known a bit about Nightmare since I played with growth rates and inventories on a couple randomized runs, but now I need to figure out scripting, event, how to get maps into the game in the first place and I cannot for the life of me figure out hexcoding.

I’ve tried looking at tutorials and while I’m sure the content in them is great, the ones that don’t say “this is based on FE6/7, not so good for FE8” are incomplete and seem to rely on my already knowing how hexcoding works.

I’m also learning about more and more tools that people use to make hacks or make the building of hacks easier and I don’t even know what the tools I’m supposed to be using are anymore.

So yeah, sorry that my introduction is buried in a rant about my own struggles with figuring all of this out. Is there a good place to start figuring out how to get stuff working? From what I can tell, I “only” need to figure out events, map insertion and dialogue for now, but I’m sure there’s a lot of stuff that I need to learn as well that I simply don’t know about.

Thanks in advance, and once again, hello!

Welcome here! Join the discord! https://discord.gg/0o6L1illmKvkxBdp

Make a three-chapter game first and have it be about the events that lead up to your 30-ch game’s story. After doing the former, you will be wiser and experienced with the tools when you tackle the latter.

Welcome!

1 Like

Good luck.