Fire Emblem: Maiden of Darkness. Check the OP for updates I do them everytime I achieve now

Not EliwoodxFiora

1 Like

I don’t want weapon durability to be gone, but I do think you should increase most weapon’s durability. I’d also like to see some Fates style penalties, but weapon weight is a good feature, so perhaps a compromise between the two.

1 Like

The thing is, GBAFE already doesn’t have con growths except for promotions, and anyway a point of speed is always at least as good as a point of con as far as the AS formula is concerned, and IIRC things like dodging are also based off AS, so. Basically if you just “gut Con” and replace all available Body Rings with Speedwings, effectively nothing changes since your units rarely cap Spd and don’t have real weapon-weight issues if they do (and really nothing would change in FE7 either, except for Body Ring!Luna!Athos no longer doubling the Fire Dragon).

1 Like

Yeah, if you focus exclusively on the best units who don’t care about weapon weight anyway. But since the goal is to NOT make some units just flat worse because of circumstances the player can’t change or control and lead to the exact same 18 units being repeated till the end of time.

There is no circumstance in which “You lose 10 speed from trying to wield a steel, but this unit doesn’t lose any speed, so you’ll always just be intrinsically worse.” is an acceptable form of balance.

2 Likes

This is EXACTLY why I have no qualms about the sacrifice of the weight system in later FE’s

1 Like

I’m going to be doing a stream now doing some very boring dev stuff, drop on by if you like text documents and discussions on Game Design.

http://www.hitbox.tv/Onmi

Was a good stream, apologies for anybody bored, but I did warn you

2 Likes

Is there a VOD avalable?

1 Like

Do you mean a replay of what happened?

1 Like

No he means a victory or death of what happened

5 Likes

So, on a Lyn choice playthrough, Lilina has Power of Gold from Farina. Don’t worry about what this is until it’s finally codified, but the short version of the story is that it’s easy enough to hit if you never buy anything in the system we had planned that I feel uncomfortable leaving the Arena situation the way it was. Especially given the Unbreakable weapons change.

So the Arena changes. keep in mind that Arena’s have already been changed to have limited fights.

1. Fights no longer pay out, and the cost to buy in is reduced. It’s still paying for EXP. Think of this like the Drill Grounds in FE12. You are paying for a fight so you can get EXP and level up dudes who’ve fallen behind.

2. After clearing out an Arena, then you’ll be rewarded a cash prize, which will likely be balanced around what you had to pay to fight. OR you will receive an item that would have cost more to buy, like spending 250 on 4 fights, and getting a Steel Sword. (Steel Swords are 2000 G now for those who haven’t watched the stream)

3.On-Map Arena’s are single-shot boss fights, like Ch.7 has you fight Fir, who if you beat her say… gives you an Elixer. This lets me re-purpose the on-map Arena’s in a way that doesn’t require me to disable them or have them double up with Arena’s in the base.

This lets me control the flow of money into the hands of the player, stopping Power of Gold from getting out of hand, and also answering the question of “Well weapons don’t break, what do I do with my Gold?” This isn’t the only answer. For example, occasionally when you speak to Merlinus or another shop keeper in the base they’ll, before launching the store say “Hey, we found someone offering a weapon not available yet for an inflated price. Would you like to buy this for a quick boost in equipment now for some liquid funds.”

This is mostly early game focused, because by the end-game you have the 15k S-Rank merchant and the Secret Shop to spend money on.

6 Likes

So just out of curiosity, does this mean it’s impossible to have both Eliwood and Lyn paired in the same playthrough as Hector and Florina?

1 Like

Unfortunately for many peoples personal pairings, yes. It’s a simple fact of not having infinite time to make all the choices. So just sitting on three.

The one with the characters I don’t care for (Ninian/Florina), the one with the pairings I play with (Lyn/Farina) and the one that’s left over (Fiora/Lyn)

I am including instructions on how to add your own combination to the game, but it’s a case of “Man I have a deadline, and I don’t have infinite time, also Skill Balance.”

4 Likes

Alright, it doesn’t effect me that much, because Lyn x Eliwood is the big one, so as long as I can do that, I can settle for Hector x Farina.

I’ll just headcanon that Flo died during childbirth or some shit like that, so Farina raised Lilina in Flo’s place

1 Like

What do you mean by this?

1 Like

Don’t worry about it

1 Like

But… muh canon…

So out of curiosity, what would be the personal skill that Roy inherits from Lyn? I would guess something like +hit/avo in open terrain or something with Lyn being a nomad and all that jazz.

1 Like

No

He’s got 'Slightly improved FEIV Astra" which the slight improvement is reducing the doubling threshold back down to FE6’s threshold (From 5 to 4) so really it’s just “Literal Actually FEIV Astra”

2 Likes

I see you are making an honest effort to make Roy not suck in this hack.

2 Likes

Yes I’m making an effort to make sure everyone has a viable use, and on repeat playthroughs someone can go “Ooh, this person has more going for them than different growths.” So there’s reason to use other characters.

Since supports build by just progressing through the game, And the Arena is always there to serve as an EXP sink for catching units up without overpowering the player, it’s easier to bring up a unit you’ve been neglecting

3 Likes

Now, i don’t have to go to any where near as much effort as I usually do to make Roy good. Thanks Onmi.

FE4 Astra for my boy, oh boy

2 Likes