[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 254 skills done, more on the way

I’m using this on my next project, so I’m glad bugs are being rooted out!
Did you see the recent one on the Amusing Glitches thread? It was as if spells could target dead units, but not physical weapons. Only spells.

i saw the video though it’s good to know you’ve narrowed it down this’ll help solving it

Would’ve come in handy a few years ago, but congrats! This looks gorgeous, I wish everyone who’ll make use of this good luck.

2 Likes

I sense a great disturbance in the Salt.

1 Like

Updated with a ton of Leonarth’s skills, now post-combat skills are handled in a checking loop just like combat and proc skills

3 Likes

Update: the skill system is now on Github: https://github.com/FireEmblemUniverse/SkillSystem_FE8/releases/

rattatatouille was nice enough to make vanilla FE8 with skills that breaks the unit groups down so you don’t get massive debuffs past ch6. Download here: https://www.mediafire.com/?jmlsskubznzwuum

4 Likes

It would be nice if we could choose skill for units in vanilla FE8, rather then just them being pre-selected :\

You can grab, from the main skill system download, the “Personal Skill Editor” and associated other pieces of data to edit that, you know?

Similarly the class systems & etc…

1 Like

Gee I wonder where I can thank this gentleman for this.

don’t blame me, i tried @rat and got no suggestions

Small question here, how come Forde is in a nonexistent class and has an Armorslayer? Is this an EA trick or something because he shouldn’t be in a blank class, and I haven’t edited text. The only other hex I’ve edited is the promo to use class bases. I couldn’t find anywhere better to ask, so I’ll go away if this has been dealt with or clutters up space.

Yeah I messed that up. I forgot that I was still using my modified classes for units there >_>

updated the vanilla fe8 with skills link: https://www.mediafire.com/?10v42h251xtamw1

3 Likes

There we go.

This is incredible work. I am a casual player (read: not a ROM hacker) and I am stoked to try it.

Forgive my ignorance, but this vanilla .ups file that you linked to… is it possible to use it with modified skill tables? I downloaded and played around with your skill allocation tables (which was surprisingly simple and even I was able to manage it) and they work in the boss rush demo. I want to try the campaign with my changes, but sadly I cannot figure out how to do so using this .ups file with my limited/nonexistent experience. Thanks.

Your skill system download should have come with, among other things, a file called “Rom Buildfile.event” and “MAKE_HACK_full.cmd”. Download the vanilla FE8 with skills patch and apply it to a clean rom (use NUPS for this.) Place the rom (name it FE8_clean.gba) and run Makehack. Before running Makehack, go into the Rom Buildfile and comment out (place // before a line) everything but the tables, since that is all you are editing. Running Makehack will create another .ups that you can apply to your rom. Then you can play FE8 with your skills. (The pre-existing UPS will only apply the default version of the system, as it was created with that in mind.)

1 Like

I appreciate the clear directions! I commented out all of the changes in the build file except the first two (text and CSV changes only, no engine hacks, events, or maps). After doing this and running the make hack full program, I got 97 errors of the following form:

File FE8 Level Up Skill Editor.event, Line 8, Column 1: Symbol EphraimLordSkillList isn’t in scope

It looked like these were defined in the skill_lists.event files I was messing with, so I added the following line to the top of the build file:

#include “Engine Hacks/Skill System/skill_lists.event”

After that, I got 10 errors of the following type:

File FE8 Skill Animation Editor.event, Line 17, Column 1: Symbol AdeptAnim isn’t in scope

I am not sure what to do about these. Please let me know if I need to include something else or if I am going about this the wrong way. Thanks!

I had this done a long time ago… :cry:

Also if I may add(As of now I just put everything to 0 in the Skill Animation Editor ) when ever I open the rom with my edits, I just get a white screen and nothing else.