[FE8] New Devil Effect

Well the solution is simple, achieving it may or may not be; in other words, I know HOW to go about doing it but implementing it may prove to be more prickly(ask anyone who’s seriously coded, they’ll tell you it’s not always as easy as you anticipate). Besides that, I asked if I could expect compensation, I didn’t say give me x dollars for it which is fair given that I would be putting in effort, no? No one has to do anything for me, I just may get to it later or it might end up being poorly handled or something.
and capitalism is a thing :smiley:

cool. clarification on your part was all i wanted haha. Again not my biz so yeah,

fucking discourse won’t just let me post a quote

fuck you discourse

30 dollars American money?
That sounds fine to me, I don’t know when I can start though; Calculus is kicking my ass atm, but I guess you need time to settle your other engagements anyways so

Progress I guess? Now I return to the Brendor Cave for rest and food

Hm, silly question, could there be a tiny text popup saying “Max HP Drained!” after every battle?

Maybe? I guess it’s possible, it’d probably be a pain in the balls though.

Oh, ok. You did it for the Juna Fruit, so I assumed that was like, something you’d “figured out”. My bad XD

That was for using items; there’s already a function for that but after a battle I’d probably have to rig the code that makes the popup saying a weapon is broken appear.

Oh. Ok, well, never mind then.

On another note,-1 max HP may be a bit low. Is there a spot in the rom I can just edit to change the subtractive value? I might wanna play around with -1, -2, -3 hp every attack, etc. (Maybe a different amount for each weapon? Idk.)

It’ll be some byte in the new code so if and when I do write it up I’ll tell you the offset.
The new way subtracting stats works is, I say to add the negative value of that number since the HP value(like the other stats) is signed. So adding 0xFF to a signed value will subtract 1 from it

And here I was hoping to have Crazy break this so that we could finally have 255 max HP instead of 127. Still, being able to do negative numbers is cool.

What’s to break? Just make it unsigned if you want it to go beyond 127.
Fuck, why stop there? Why not make it an s16 so you can go beyond 30,000 in either direction or if you’re a true beast you could pack the bits intelligently and make it an s10 (about 500 in either direction) to save RAM space. The stats don’t even even need to be signed to subtract by adding. This is basically how it works:

Bob has 5 strength and I want to subtract 1 so I add 0xFF
0xFF + 0x5 = 0x104. Now I store that number back as a byte, so everything beyond the last 8 bits is truncated so 0x104 gets stored as 0x04. 5 - 1 = 4

Because fitting it into the struct would be a pain, not just in just fitting it, but changing EVERY SINGLE PLACE where it is accessed by an LDSB. (changing all of them to an ldrb isn’t too awful).

Also, changing ble/bge/bls/bgt to bhi/etc

Oh of course it’ll be annoying, I’m just saying it’s not that difficult.
It’s actually easier if you do it in hex or binary if you know what you’re doing.

it can be done graphically

1 Like

Whoa so cool!
Yep, I’d love to use that Devil effect tbh… I could even create a character around that concept.

yeah why not?

2 Likes

Ohhhh that is PERFECT. Even includes a status message hell yes!

Incidentally, I’ll pay you in a few months or whenever I can. Like I said, $1k in debt and I only make enough for rent currently. How about the Devil Robe too now?

Oh, also, for that devil effect, will that rename itself if it’s attached to a different weapon? Like a Devil Sword?

Yeah I guess I could get on the devil robe at some point.
Yes the item name text is handled automatically. At least it is that way I implemted it

1 Like