[FE8] Disabling the need to access the world map before most chapters

I’m just full of hacking questions lately

probably because I don’t know anything

I’m wondering if there’s a way to get around needing to load the world map stuff between most of the chapters, since trying to MNC2 to most of them just make the ROM very unhappy, and for my hack, we really don’t need it/don’t want to deal with it.

I found this super old thread that said someone named FlyingAce found a way around it, but none of my poking around netted any results. And by the looks of things he hasn’t been active on any FE hacking site in years so that lead is probably dead as a doornail.

Right now I’m just dealing with it for the sake of moving forward with hack progress but I would really, really love it if I could just MNC2 between every chapter.

I think @Venno could help you, remember seeing something about that in the thread for FE8 research.

Probably has something to do with the World Map Events. Prologue skips straight to Ch1 with no world map, but actually it has a very basic world map event:

EVBIT_MODIFY 0x1
SKIPWN
ENDA

Pretty sure SKIPWN disables the free movement on the world map, but still lets you have world map events/cutscenes like FE7.

To completely skip the world map in FE8, you need to have the scripts for the pre chapter scenes AND the scripts for the world map scenes.

When you have both, you essentially then need to do the following:

1. Remove all the pre chapter text. If you don’t do this, the pre chapter text will display on a black screen before the chapter begins and you would have to proceed through it and stuff. I usually use this code to do that:

ORG ??? //Offset of the chapter’s world map code
_0x1020 0x1
_0x0229 0x89
ENDA

1. You move to the chapter using MNCH

2. You have the world map code for the chapter (not the pre intro one but the one from the script that comes with the event assembler) use event code like this:

ORG ??? //Your offset
_0x1020 0x1 //Don’t touch
_0xC360 0x0 0x0 0xYY 0xZZ 0x0 // _0xC360 0x0 0x0 0xYY 0xZZ 0x0 YY = main lord. ZZ = just completed chapter
_0x8540 0x0 0x0 0x0 //Always have after 0xC360
_0x8540 0x0 0x0 0x0 //After load map
_0x9340 0x0 0xXX 0x0 //Silently and instantly load world map location. All three XX’s should be the same. Remember that this XX should be the world map location offset and be the same location the chapter occurs in vanilla FE8
_0x9A40 0x0 0xXX 0x0 //Sets WM destination
_0xA640 0x0 0x0 0xXX //sets your position to that place
SKIPWN
ENDA

You’d need to know more about world map events to get further into this process.

The only chapters you can safely jump to using MNC2 are both versions of chapter 12 and the first part of the final chapter I believe. Maybe the tower and ruin chapters as well, but those have other issues with them so I don’t usually work with them.

Seems like you need to update your Event Assembler, most of the _0xABCD codes now have descriptive names:

ORG ?????? //Your offset
EVBIT_MODIFY 0x1 //Don't touch
WM_SPAWNLORD 0x0 0x0 0xYY 0xZZ 0x0 // WM_SPAWNLORD 0x0 0x0 0xYY 0xZZ 0x0 YY = main lord. ZZ = just completed chapter
WM_CENTERCAMONLORD 0x0 0x0 0x0 //Always have after 0xC360
WM_CENTERCAMONLORD 0x0 0x0 0x0 //After load map (Again??)
WM_LOADLOCATION2 0x0 0xXX 0x0 //Silently and instantly load world map location. All three XX's should be the same. Remember that this XX should be the world map location offset and be the same location the chapter occurs in vanilla FE8
WM_SETDESTINATION0x0 0xXX 0x0 //Sets WM destination
_0xA640 0x0 0x0 0xXX //sets your position to that place
SKIPWN
ENDA

I’ll have to take a look at this later, just got back from vacation so I’m not mentally back yet

I’m not seeing the coordinates in the original WM files (or they’re there and I’m missing them)

… And apparently finishing chapter 1 takes me to the post prologue event and then when that finishes it goes to the chapter screen like I finished a chapter, and then goes to chapter 2’s world map stuff.

I don’t even know what’s going on anymore.

Which coordinates are you looking for? You mean these?

0x00 Border Mulan
0x01 Castle Frelia
0x02 Ide
0x03 Borgo Ridge
0x04 Za’ha Woods
0x05 Serafew
0x06 Adlas Plains
0x07 Renvall
0x08 Renvall
0x09 Port Kiris
0x0A Teraz Plateau
0x0B Caer Pelyn
0x0C Hamill Canyon
0x0D Jehanna Hall
0x0E Fort Rigwald
0x0F Bethroen
0x10 Taizel
0x11 Za’albul Marsh
0x12 Grado Keep
0x13 Jehanna Hall
0x14 Renais Castle
0x15 Narube River
0x16 Neleras Peak
0x17 Rausten Court
0x18 Darkling Woods
0x19 Black Temple
0x1A Tower of Valni
0x1B Lagdou Ruins
0x1C Melkaen Coast

When you end chapter 1, you’re supposed to go to chapter 0x38 and then that will take you to chapter 2.

1 Like

Yeah those, thanks.

I’m also getting an incorrect parameters error for the WM_CENTERCAMONLORD 0x0 0x0 0x0 lines, but not having them seems to not be an issue so I’m just gonna ignore them.

I tried to replicate this in a different version of my ROM (the other one’s map sprites were messed up, I have no idea why so I’m just using a recent backup), but all of the world map stuff for chapter 2 is still going event though I cleared out those events and replaced them with this stuff:

I’m an idiot ignore this I loaded the wrong ROM >.>

As a follow up, I can’t seem to find where the events for 0x38 is, but I need to change it since Hayden giving you money doesn’t make any sense in the context of this hack.

That’s the lord split chapter I believe.

It looks like there’s a lot more stuff here than just Hayden talking to Eirika and Tana, it looks like it’s the part where you choose between Eirika’s route or Ephraim’s, so I don’t really want to risk messing with it until I’m completely certain about what it is.

Still haven’t figured out what’s doing it, which is kind of annoying, since I feel like it should just be there with the rest of the WM stuff but it isn’t

Along with this, I can’t seem to replicate my success with getting chapter 2 to skip the world map stuff (post chapter 1 things that I haven’t found aside).

[spoiler=chapter 2 WM code]
ORG 0x1139C00

EVBIT_MODIFY 0x1 //Don’t touch
WM_SPAWNLORD 0x0 0x0 0x01 0x01 0x0 // WM_SPAWNLORD 0x0 0x0 0xYY 0xZZ 0x0 YY = main lord. ZZ = just completed chapter
WM_LOADLOCATION2 0x0 0x02 0x0 //Silently and instantly load world map location. All three XX’s should be the same. Remember that this XX should be the world map location offset and be the same location the chapter occurs in vanilla FE8
WM_SETDESTINATION 0x0 0x02 0x0 //Sets WM destination
_0xA640 0x0 0x0 0x02 //sets your position to that place
SKIPWN
ENDA

//The next line is for re-assembling purposes. Do not delete!
MESSAGE Original ending offset is $A39DB4 and the new ending offset is CURRENTOFFSET
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=chapter 3 WM code]
ORG 0x113A450
EVBIT_MODIFY 0x1 //Don’t touch
WM_SPAWNLORD 0x0 0x0 0x01 0x02 0x0 // WM_SPAWNLORD 0x0 0x0 0xYY 0xZZ 0x0 YY = main lord. ZZ = just completed chapter
WM_LOADLOCATION2 0x0 0x03 0x0 //Silently and instantly load world map location. All three XX’s should be the same. Remember that this XX should be the world map location offset and be the same location the chapter occurs in vanilla FE8
WM_SETDESTINATION 0x0 0x03 0x0 //Sets WM destination
_0xA640 0x0 0x0 0x03 //sets your position to that place
SKIPWN
ENDA

//The next line is for re-assembling purposes. Do not delete!
MESSAGE Original ending offset is $A39F90 and the new ending offset is CURRENTOFFSET[/spoiler]