[FE7/FE8] Editing Spell Animations?

I’m trying to figure out how to make the Exaccus wave and Sword of Seals fire not kill the BGM, but I have no idea where the spell animation data is in the first place. I keep seeing that I need to change the sound priority, but I’m not exactly sure where and how to do that.

The spell animation is too complicated for you to edit. (If you are really interested in that, here is a demo.)
If you only wants to recover the sfx, it will be much simpler. (Nothing related to the spell animation.)
Export and import the sound and set the correct priority (the 3rd byte of the song data) for it.

I’m not really sure I understand. Do I export the sound from FE6 into FE7? Then how do I make the spell use the sound? I have sappy and can export the sound to .s files, but where do I put them in the FE7 ROM?

Another solution could be to use the nightmare module(Music Array Editor.nmm), find the SFX(s) for the Exaccus wave, then edit the priority to low or lowest.
Not really sure if that actually works, but it is something you could try.

I imagine you have the all the frames and the script ready
and you are only missing the SFX.

• The easiest cheesy thing to do is to abadon the sound porting
    and just use the already established SFX that sound similar.

• If you are dead set to import sounds then

1. rip the sound effect from the source game (I prefer Zahlman’s method)
  2. then insert it on the target game (SFX on free space and also setting the pointer to the inserted SFX on an empty slot in the sound table)
  3. After that, go to the sound table and set the priority of the SFX so it has priority over map and combat music
  4. and finally on your script write where and when the SFX plays during the spell animation (Use code “C####48” with “####” being the hex number of the order of the SFX in the sound table)

We’ve had patches that fix the BGM sound kill for years, but I guess whatever links there were faded into obscurity.
Try these patches if all you need is to fix the BGM cutting out from spells.

You’ll need Lunar IPS. If you don’t have it, I’ve got it here.

1 Like

Thanks, you’re a lifesaver. I should’ve just asked for these in the first place lmao.