Elibean Nights - Final Draft [PLAYTEST PATCH, 6-5-21]

i’m in agreement with prime here tbh; as cool as the AI is I just don’t think it’s intuitive to the story. WRT the forced loss, this isn’t like dragon quest or something where you can’t tell that you’re utterly outclassed (well, you can, but in FE it’s a lot more obvious) - this fight is pretty clearly not winnable without a lot of rigging, which should be a tip off that there’s something else going on here.

Maybe after the five talks (or after turn X because my instinct in an unwinnable boss fight scenario like that is actually to turn tail and run the fuck away) just have a scripted fight where kaherdin oneshots Karel or something.

2 Likes

After 5 talks, Kaherdin goes super saian, gets +10 to all stats, and a portrait change and a cool new sword.

1 Like

and gets a theme song power up for good measure

1 Like

something like this is mandatory

2 Likes

But, what if Shia came in and motivated Karel?

What would happen then?

5 Likes

If Kaherdin is written well enough I don’t mind if Karel wins in the end. Overcoming obstacles let people also grow. Though ist hard to make someone a believeable turn in the opposite direction. Just give Karel something to question his motives and let the time do the rest.

1 Like

Karel doesn’t win in the end. He’s supposed to realize that he can’t win after getting talked at for 5 rounds. Not even, like being attempted to be defeated.

1 Like

Amazing work on the hack. Just a quick bug report for Hector’s Tale: the visit event for the northern village doesn’t display the sprite properly.

Also, quick bit of spell-checking: “Lycian Council”, not “Lycian Counsel”.

An issue not related to the hack itself: would it be possible to link the most up-to-date version in the OP, as well as at other places (i.e., blog page, Serenes Forest thread)? I spent weeks trying to figure out how to get the new features to work before it clicked that I wasn’t playing the most recent version, and it took me awhile to hunt it down.

2 Likes

Lycian Counsel is correct, if rather archaic; counsel is a formal name for the group of legal advisors to a courtroom case (hence, it’s the group of advisors to the lycian league)

1 Like

Wow, that /is/ archaic. I suppose it makes sense (“legal counsel”) but still seems out of place.

Oh, Pent’s Gaiden bugs out at the end: the ending scene loops infinitely and if you skip it with enter, the game locks.

1 Like

Thank you for pointing this out. I’ve been terribly confused by all the bug reports I’m getting for things that I remember fixing, lol. OP has been updated with the latest download link.

The latest can be downloaded here. My intent is to have an updated patch in the next week or two. My job has proven to be rather time consuming, so I’ve been pecking away at EN during my minimal spare time. Thank you to everyone for their patience, I still intend to have the final release ready for FEE3.

October 4th. #BreakTheCurse

3 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it
Curse master race

2 Likes

HELP!!
I discarded the Eckesachs and now I’m stuck in the void!

2 Likes

Some minor touches to prove that I’m still working on EN and that it hasn’t been delayed to 2020. Balancing work/life/extra work is tough. Still hoping to have a new patch available for FEE3.

6 Likes

FrenchFroodle plays EN’s finale for FEE3 this year!

4 Likes

Hey everyone,

It’s been a hell of a last couple months - culminating in this hellish week, my family’s house was robbed the day before I’d planned to move out into my own little apartment. The thieves took two guns, $400 from my little brother’s cash stash, a New 3DS (with my copy of Smash), and, most importantly of all, the laptops that belong to my brother and I. That laptop contained all of EN’s source code, and the most recent ROMs. I’m typically fairly careless when it comes to backing things up, and it’s bitten me in the ass several times throughout the years. The most recent version of Elibean Nights that I’ve been able to uncover dates back to October, when FrenchFroodle LP’d the hack for FEE3. I’ve decided to release a patch of that version. It is still incomplete, with the last four months of my work essentially taken.

Here’s the download link for the most recent patch.

Trust that I still have every intention of finishing Elibean Nights, but those efforts have suffered a significant setback. Unfortunately, the event source posted to GitHub is largely outdated, and disassembling the events would be a messy endeavor - losing that source code means that there is no easy answer to the question of “how to move forward.” This is all rather unfortunate, and I am still grappling with this tumultuous time in life. Just know that I am safe and finally living happily on my own. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to the development of this project. For several years now, it has been a labor of love - and the support that I’ve received from my colleagues and fans has been absolutely invaluable.

From the ashes of what once was, new opportunities arise.

Stay tuned.

14 Likes

Wow, that really sucks : /

Especially losing your vidja. (Though if you lost any digital games you might be able to contact Nintendo customer service to transfer everything to another 3DS if you get another)

Yay FEXENA

2 Likes

Oh wow, that must really be an awful experience. If the police do manage to recover these stolen properties including your laptop somehow, will you be working on that one instead?

1 Like

As someone who had their laptop and 3DS stolen several years ago: damn, that supremely sucks. Solidarité.

If you have the serial numbers of your laptop/3DS/other devices, give them to the police if you haven’t already. They can put the numbers in a database of stolen stuff so the stuff will come up as stolen if the thief tries to sell them at a pawn shop.

edit: Sincerely sorry; I wasn’t saying this in assumption that you didn’t know to do it. I never got back any of my stuff either, tbh.

1 Like

Oh, that’s rough man, here’s to hope you get your stuff back.

Also, FEXNA HYPE

1 Like