Discussing Intellectual Property

I couldn’t agree more. Many hackers try their best to make their hack unique and are not willing to share them with others. (That’s also why I spend lots of my leisure time to debugging and make skill system, because I don’t want it to be a common one.) However, once you distribute your work, you cannot avoid others’ research on it. For example, you find sth interesting in the Green Patch, can you inhibit your curious to research it? Isn’t that what you are going to do? It is hard to imagine you won’t apply what you find to your own hack. I bet the author of the Green Patch have spent lots of time for his hack to dispaly skill icons, so why not leaving his hack alone and it will be the unique hack in that aspect.

It may be the nature of a hacker :grin:

Of course people have their rights to keep his outcome only for his own use and refuse giving it to others. Nobody will blame him, but I think we should encourage people to share our work with others. Obviously there is hard work in anyone’s documentation, if we all consider that it takes me such a huge effort so I won’t share it with anyone, all of us must edit the rom just by a hex editor and search offsets of data ourselves to make a hack.

It seems a long story. I have never seen that before, so a link? I couldn’t believe they tease you only for this. There may exist other reasons.

1 Like

It’s a topic on Serenes, let me find it…

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43079 This I think?

(Oh, and hi hi hi, I am excited for new peeps)

I remember that I have seen it before, but where is the jp replies? The number of reply is helpful.

Page eight.

(IIRC, they posted this on 2chan or whatever, so… it’s not that surprising lol)

2ch!? I am quite amazed that you take it seriously. If you are more familiar with it, you won’t be surprised at any words on it.

well its not like we had any other judgement to go off of until @MisakaMikoto showed up hahaha

Wow. It’s not like we wanted him to throw everything away, it seems like a tremendous loss. Just hoped that after reaching out to the author, he might try to find some replacement sprites and update the patch. We could have helped him reach out to the original artists and request permission (the golden rule is just to ask and honor the answer you get), and maybe even could have found artists willing to do replacements as a gesture of good faith. We’re not mean people, I promise. I feel like this was a big miscommunication problem.

Sounds like he was a serious drama llama and threw a passive-aggressive hissy fit, actually.

I guess just to throw my two cents in, I’ll start by saying that I am not the one responsible for Awful Emblem’s sprites, or animations, or really anything of note outside of the story. I don’t put hours of work into our mugs or anything, and I appreciate everything that Tyty and Ryu have done on those fronts, and I absolutely do not speak for them.

With that said, I agree mostly with Klok. Should there be a “grace period” where no one but us can use our stuff? Absolutely, it would be ridiculous to find one of our mugs in some random hack before ours was even out. And yes, if you commissioned a mug or an animation, then it’s…well, yours. You paid for it, and if someone else really wants to use it as well, they can pay for it too. But aside from those situations, why not put these sprites back out there for people to use? As long as they’re properly credited to the artist in question, is anyone really going to get indignant over Mediocre Hack #579 that that no one is ever going to remember using a mug that was made far more famous in Dream of Five or Elibean Nights? Especially since in a community as close as this one, that hack is going to get called out on it anyway.

Sure, it “devalues” your hack if someone else uses your mugs and/or animations, but if those were the only things your hack had going for it, maybe you’ve got bigger problems. Hell, if you have a mug that looked so good that someone else said “Yes, I want this for my hack too,” guess what? Even if that hack crashes and burns, even if a thousand other hacks use that sprite and subsequently crash and burn, that sprite has not stopped looking good in your hack. And I think that’s something to be proud of.

And hey, if this really is such an epidemic, there are plenty of existing ways you can deal with it. Look at Gamemaker, Unity, or RPG Maker - if you have the knowledge to make your own custom stuff, great! If you don’t (and I imagine that’s a lot of us here), that’s okay too. You can use the built-in stuff if you really have to (which in this case would be the existing sprites in-game), or you can go into the asset store and get whatever you need. Some stuff is free, some stuff you have to toss a couple bucks out for, but there is a library of stuff out there for those of us who don’t have the chops to do everything and there’s no reason that we couldn’t put together some kind of “storefront” for FE Hacking. You don’t want your mugs being “devalued” by showing up in every hack under the sun? Put an unusable jpg preview of it up and ask for a couple bucks if someone wants the real deal. Unless you absolutely, positively do not want anyone ever using it and fuck you for asking, that seems to be a win-win for everyone - a larger library of stuff out there that anyone can use (whether as a base or to just pop it right in), and it means that there’s a use for some of those old practice mugs or animations that were made for a project that didn’t make it.

Or maybe I’m just talking out of my ass here, I don’t know. But I fundamentally agree that the existing library of stuff out there for public use isn’t great (especially for mugs) and it would be nice if we were able to recirculate some of the older or unused stuff to make everyone’s lives a little easier.

1 Like

This is why I’m not as active anymore

2 Likes

Then people should get on contacting the people whose stuff they want to use. They just have to do the legwork.

It would be nice if you stopped emulating Hextator down to his speech patterns when you are active.

If I find it creepy, I can’t imagine how he finds it.

3 Likes

Putting on my admin hat for a sec just to say that we should all strive to maintain positive vibes and a welcoming community atmosphere. Not directed at any one person, and nobody’s in trouble cuz it’s FEU nobody’s ever gotten in trouble before.

1 Like

Screw you Serenes and your “Spamming” warnings for posting OOOOONNNEE post.

Fite me Arch.

1 Like

I still wonder how I’ve managed 0 warns and I’m sure I’ve posted stupider things

stupider isn’t a word

go back to jupiter

Does @Arch have a weapon triangle advantage against you? Are you sure you’ll survive? You might want to be careful.
Also, has there ever been an argument like this in here before?

I moved 3 posts to a new topic: [Community] Diplomacy with the Japenese Fire Emblem Hacking Community

If I knew how to assign a warn, I woulddddd. I’ve legitimately never had to even try to figure it out.

Anyways I think I’m gonna just lock this up and throw away the key. Getting a little spammy in here and everything that’s needed to be said pretty much has been. Interesting discussion, got a little negative at times but I hope nobody walks away with a pain in their butts.