[DEPRECATED] Fire Shell - Prototype Release Topic

I see an ASM dive is in order. I’m not the most experienced one with exp, but there’s some docs on it, so I’ll take a look tomorrow.

i’ve documented most of the exp routines (i didn’t bother with the one that ended up being division though)

you guys should implement my exponential exp scaling by default anyway

E1 -
so it appears the problem is in the getFlatEXPBonus() function at 08029E08, though i’m not entirely sure how. Let’s go deeper.

E2 -

i lied, it’s before then

E3 -

It looks like the “relative level” being calculated at 08029DCC for the relevant classes is going haywire

E4 -

I’'ve got it, it looks like the problem is caused because the “unit promotes to” byte (index 5) is zero (can someone please check this for me). When a promoted class gives or gains EXP, it loads the class power of its unpromoted counterpart; doing this involves loading the class pointer of the relevant class. When the “getClassPtr” function at 08018D20 is fed in a zero, it returns 0, which screws up the rest of the calculation.

Lesson learned? Set this value to something nonzero.

2 Likes

Confirmed this with some of the classes I documented. The byte just needs to be non-zero, whether or not the “Promotes to” class is also promoted doesn’t seem to affect it beyond fixing the experience gain.

Glad we know what the issue is and that it’s really easy to fix.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/336940/Software/Hextator's%20Doc/Media/Games/Reverse%20Engineering/Console/NGBA/Fire%20Emblem/Game%20Doc/7%20-%20Blazing%20Sword/Game%20Mechanics/RNG/RNG%20Hack.txt

Hextator’s RNG-Based-on-system-time hack should be installed.

New Fire Shell release: zeta.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19964863/Fire%20Shell%20ζ.rar

The Good Good:

• Tested the patch to make sure it’s functional this time.
  • Fixed the ballistae map sprite and attacking glitches.
  • Fixed the 100EXP gain glitch with certain classes.
  • Installed Venno’s staff EXP fix with a relocated table.
  • It’s got Mattypoo’s music magic built-in.
  • And also Modular Battle w/ status swords!
  • Updated FEditor auto-patches with functioning custom spells.
  • Fixed Iron Rune glitch in Range Penalty hack.
  • Implemented Venno’s drop item AI flag.
1 Like

Had the problem that I couldn’t use Nightmare with the new Fire Shell version. I inserted a mug via FEditor and used the Nightmare Portrait-Editor afterwards. Opening FEditor after that, makes the Portrait-Editor inside FEditor unuseable cause of a checksum error. But fixing the Checksum via FEditor undoes the Nightmare changes I’ve done. Nether encountered that before on a rom.

Are you using the nightmare modules bundled with the Fire Shell release?

Yes, I tried both. The one in the bundle and the own I had.

It sounds like you’re saving with both programs simultaneously. They’ll overwrite the changes to each other since they’re using the same base file and don’t update that with changes by other programs.

P.S. What are you needing the portrait editors for anyways? That’s all stuff FEditor takes care of through its interface.

al right so I’ve been making a chapter using fire shell, however there’s a problem. everything seems to load fine, but when a healer on the enemy side comes up to heal someone the game goes back to the title screen, and I don’t know why.

inb4 @Arch somehow overwrote the built in heal-effect routine for the enemy Ais.

ah. . . think ya can help me fix it (as im reaaalllyyy inexperienced with hacking) or should I just wait?

Nah, I wouldn’t know what was installed that might have messed it up. So, uh, just wait for @Arch.

mm kay. thanks for the help

[10:14:19 PM] Cam: fireshell alpha patch is actually broke
[10:23:30 PM] Cam: yeah, applied to a fresh ROM, I get “patch doesn’t match the file”, if I power through anyway it breaks when it tries to access the save file (either immediately after title screen or once it loads the menu)

E:

It’s also not immediately clear where people should be writing new data to, I assume that expanded space should be safe and maybe some of the places like the original event data? This should be better documented IMO.

reading is tech

for that matter, putting the most recent in the OP is tech :stuck_out_tongue:

I am unable to use any of the tools located within feditor save for text editor. What to do?

open it, save it, close it, reopen it

That’s surprisingly simple.