Deflation Emblem - Because Stat Inflation is Dumb

Something that really bugs me is when people take stats and just make the numbers bigger for no reason (3DS FE is just as guilty of this). So, to prove a point, I did the exact same thing but in reverse.

Every stat, growth, and cap is cut in half (except move), along with weapon stats. You may ask, “Isn’t that entirely pointless, since it’s going to play exactly like normal FE8 just with lower numbers?” to which I answer yes. Now, think what would happen if instead of cutting every stat in half, you multiplied them by 2. This is the point. Don’t inflate stats, it’s pointless and dumb. So is this. But if you want to play it for some reason,

Download

12 Likes

brb, making double emblem

1 Like

If move is halved… Rounded down, that means Knights have 2 move! They have the same as every else! Woo unintended buffs. Also the Desert / Rausten chapters are gonna be fun

1 Like

Deflation isn’t fun either tbh

1 Like

Looks more like Slow Emblem, everyone with 2 move. Sounds almost unplayable

1 Like

well youd have to cut the map sizes in half as well.

more to the point though, even when theres heavy stat inflation i dont remember most modern fes inflating mov values.

1 Like

This is an interesting idea. However, I cannot fully agree with your statement about stats. The magnitude of stats in an FE game do have effects on other factors of the game. I won’t go too long into this (because I do like the concept of this hack), so I’ll be brief and name two examples.

1. Hit rate. You did not halve every aspect of a weapon. The hit rates of the weapons are still in full force. The only stats that boosted Hit % were Skill and Luck, while Speed and Luck were the only stats to reduce Hit % when defending. Guess who benefits more by this change?

2. Attack speed. You did not halve what it takes to double an opponent. This means that it is now harder to double or get doubled. Guess who benefits more from that change?

The pictures show Eirika on Normal Mode in the beginning of the game (the second one is from the original FE8). Now, the game is harder for Eirika and easier for her enemy.

Personally, I agree that stat caps don’t need to be as high as 60, but the games who do follow those caps also design their games’ mechanics around them (though not always effectively). I thank you for making this hack and giving me this stuff to think about. This topic, I’m sure, will make for an interesting discussion. For now, I’m going to enjoy this hack.

P.S. Please change the movement picture. I see that you did change the movement back to normal. I don’t think people should get upset over something that’s no longer a part of the game.

3 Likes

Are weapon uses halved too?

1 Like

Already made it lul

1 Like

>Not halving weapon icons or character portraits
But yeah, this is interesting.

1 Like

Most class HP caps are 15 when they should be 30. This causes negative HP gains on promotion if you have more than 15. Some monster classes have the HP cap set to 40 for some reason.