Awful Emblem - Complete Act 1 Demo

Thoroughly enjoyed this hack. There were a few spelling and grammar errors (which I’ll put in Discord), and a few QoL hacks that I found myself sorely missing, but overall, it was very fun.

Units

FE8-Awful_Emblem_01
Solid lord. Good enough speed to double things, tanky enough to take a blow. Well, physical blows, at least. The slide back on her animation seems a bit fast.

FE8-Awful_Emblem_04
Deleter of Things. He seemed to gain exp faster than my other units (probably has class coefficient of 2, while others have 3), and boy oh boy did he put work in. He did die to a combination of unlucky hits (3 ~30 shots) and poison (had 3 hp left and got hit for a 3) on 5x, but he got better.

FE8-Awful_Emblem_05 FE8-Awful_Emblem_06
The next best units after Rowan. In fact, June might be even better at his level. Gave Angus the speedwing, which he used to hit things hard twice.

FE8-Awful_Emblem_02 FE8-Awful_Emblem_13
Melanie…may have gotten some favoritism? Just a bit? Like, a dracoshield, angelic robe, and energy ring? Definitely worth it, though. Didn’t have Cassandra for very long, but she looks like she would be a very good unit.

FE8-Awful_Emblem_03 FE8-Awful_Emblem_07

The healbots. Beatrice got magic blessed, I think; she’d be a solid unit when she promotes. Niccolo chipped occasionally (and killed Poison Claw!Baels on ch 8), but otherwise didn’t do much. Good unit in a pinch, though.

FE8-Awful_Emblem_08

Thief.png. Pretty bad speed growth for a thief, but she has a solid base. I normally like and train thieves, but as soon as I saw Cassandra, I felt Kate was going to be on lockpick/bench duty.

FE8-Awful_Emblem_09 FE8-Awful_Emblem_15

I tried. They weren’t awful units, and they were good for chipping, but they weren’t spectacular compared to June and Rowan, so I didn’t use them as much as I wanted to (I like shamans).

FE8-Awful_Emblem_14
Did knighty things, like not take damage when people took offense to his face. He might look like a potato in a suit in armor, but he’s a tanky potato in a suit of armor. Benched as soon as I got Sigmund.

FE8-Awful_Emblem_10

Another unit I tried to raise and failed. I really like archers. I like early-game longbows. I like buffed early-game longbows. But she got 1 speed and no strength in 4 levels, and I decided that would not do. Brought her out to use the ballista in ch6, and she barely damaged anything. Pretty sure she got screwed.

Didn’t really use the other units. Was intrigued at Selia being a mage tank instead of a physical tank, but I had Melanie, who was better in all ways. I used Martin for a while early on before June proved to be better. Clover got a couple of kills, but I’m not a fan of myrmidons.

4 Likes

Happened to see the VOD for this while I was trawling FE8 on twitch yesterday- cool to see that this is still trucking along, and that y’all have made a good amount of progress. If you intend to do more streams, would be nice to announce them here too :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

We’ve been getting some queries about why this thread got archived when the project is demonstrably alive and receiving updates, so a few notes:

• Our policy is largely agnostic to whether the project itself “is alive” and more about whether the project is likely to receive further update posts on this forum specifically. I know that our stance on disallowing discussion in “dead” project threads is and has continued to be less than popular, but we continue to believe that relegating such discussion to other venues (such as a community thread or discord) is a necessary evil to prevent pointless “any update?” bumps.

• Regarding the fact that this project is clearly not dead and so there may be further updates on this site, we have reasons beyond the 4-year silence period (that are private and so I won’t get into them) to believe that the creators of this project have abandoned FEU and won’t be posting any updates here. If we’re mistaken on that, we’re happy to un-archive this thread on request from one of the creators, but until then, I’d rather not entertain a false hope that they’ll change their minds and return.

Hi all, looks like there was a bit of confusion going on here but I do still visit the site occasionally so I’ll do my best to clear it up. Oh, and there’s no bad blood between us and the site or anything, we just don’t post much.

Awful Emblem is not dead. In fact, we’ve been quietly working on it almost every week since posting this demo years ago. You might think, “gee FP, shouldn’t it be done by now then?” and honestly you’d be right to think that. But when I say every week I mean that me and the other team members meet once a week for 2-3 hours and that’s it. Sometimes a little extra work is done by one of us on a random day. All of us are in our 30s now and don’t have the time to devote to these kinds of projects like we did when we were younger. Not calling anyone out for wondering, of course, just explaining how our team works.

But anyway, yeah, the project keeps on trucking along. I’d honestly put us at the 75% completion mark these days. We have seven more chapters to finish and then plenty of stuff to polish. We’ve spent the last month and a half proofreading supports, with more still to check once we’ve formatted them for insertion. Prior to that we were working on the “Act 3” of our game and all the chapters that go along with that–the second half of the game and beyond.

The tough part about FE hacking is that, compared to when I did Mario or Metroid hacking, I find it’s hard to present screenshots or other previews of the game. It is, after all, a strategy game. The most appealing things to see are map designs or cool animations, and the latter have been inserted in our game for a long time now, probably long enough to be in older demos already. I’ve posted a couple maps here and there in Discord, but largely I just never know what to post. Part of it is this possibly unfounded notion I have that people will feel like our game plays like something out of the late 2010s.

I predict Awful Emblem will not light FEU on fire with its gameplay or dazzle it with fancy ASM. At its core, it’s just a game we’ve enjoyed making in the vein of FE adventures we liked playing when we were younger. There are still cool chapters and interesting to play maps, of course, especially a few in the second half that took some real time to work out, and one more I haven’t even started on yet but conceptually should turn out pretty fun. But what we’ve really put a big focus on throughout the game is its story and character development. We’ve had a lot of years to come to the realization that just because this is a romhack doesn’t mean we can’t actually choose to write a decent story. And sure the players will be the ultimate judge of that but I genuinely love our misfit cast of characters and all the story and support moments we’ve written for them. I hope people won’t just skip over dialogue to get to the gameplay, because while we’ve written a lot of words (though nowhere near as many as Sacred Dawn DX) I think it’s worth seeing what we’ve created.

Anyway, this is a lot of words to say that we’re still around. I kinda just wrote what came to mind. I guess I’ll finish out this essay with a few random screens or maps we’ve taken in recent months since whenever we last posted here. Let’s see what I have.

ladypaula
We have Intermission chapters featuring supports-like conversations that aren’t actually supports. They just tie into the current events of the plot after major sections of the story.

fleet
I put a boat on a lake and gave it a “cannon”.

cyclops
I don’t recall where this gentleman shows up but I guess he’s a big boy.

Chapter 26
A near-endgame map in a marshy wasteland of sorts.

I don’t have a date for this, but keep an eye out for this hack because we do want to put out some kind of playable demo again soon. It’s been far too long since the last demo and plenty has changed and been added since last time. We do need to do a bunch of testing before we drop a demo though, so it’ll be a little bit before this happens. I’ll try to pop in every now and then with tidbits of what we’re working on.

That’s all I have for now. Far too many words and little exciting substance. Awful Emblem in a nutshell lol.

12 Likes