Attempt at an FE8 sequel

Custom worlds are far more fun.

Here are some tips, from someone who’s never made a custom game yet with a custom world or anything (But I am planning on doing so).

1. Name your world.
  2. Draw up a little map. It doesn’t have to be great. Or good. Like, at all. Here was my first, second, and final/most recent designs for my own world maps. As you can see, the first map was pretty awful. The names have also significantly changed.
  3. Give some names to different areas on the map. What does each place do? Is that coastal region good at fishing? Is there a barbarian horde running around rampant? Where do(es) the protagonist(s) start? If there’s a big bad guy in the game, where is he located? Does he have allies? Does the player? Write up a bit of history for each area, just write whatever comes to mind, since this is a first draft. You’ll further refine it later.
  4. Once you’ve thought about how everything interacts, write a basic outline for the story. What has been the history of the world, overall? Has the world been ravaged by war? Local civil disputes? Marauders destroying the land? Peace and prosperity? Don’t worry about cliches, EVERYTHING is a cliche. There is a 0.0001% chance you’ll come up with a story premise that’s new.
  5. Now, think about your characters. What are their backstories? Is the main lord a noble? A prince(ss)? A soldier fighting against corruption? A peasant dreaming of glory? What about the people he will meet, where do they come from? What do they wish to do? Given that FE specializes in giving each character a quirk or two to liven them up (Bartre is dumb as a rock, Canas is such a nerd that he doesn’t understand humor, the lords are all boring except Hector who’s a badass, etc) you may choose to do the same. Try not to let their quirk… define them. Everyone’s seen the clumsy inept mage, but a clumsy inept mage who has a love of flowers and is terrified of kittens could be more amusing and memorable.

The reason I suggest all of this is so you don’t just write your game as it comes to you. By giving yourself an outline, you’re less likely to fill in plot holes with bullshit and confuse the player. The point of the world map is so you have an idea of geography and positioning for story event and game maps. If a particular chapter takes part on a coastline, include the sea in the map, and make reference by the characters of the fishing exploits of the local village. It adds depth and believability to your game and world, and takes it from being “Random game about hero killing bad guys with a bunch of uninteresting companions” to a game that can wow people, get you viewers and players, and maybe even get you friends who want to make stuff for you, if you don’t know how to do that yourself.

You also avoid the pitfall of turning people off, Dr. Sholes style, by having to beg for mugs and maps.

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice, Now I must learn to art

I’ll begin setting up the outline tomorrow when I have free time.

1 Like

It’s worth pointing out that if you look at my third map up there, a lot of the names of various places are based on actual names we use in the real world. Antica = Antarctica. Sylvana is a slightly different form of Silvana, a real world place. Do yourself a favor, and don’t use long stupid ‘elvish’ names. Lothlorien from LOTR is okay, but when you get into 5+ syllable names, the player doesn’t even remember them. Keep it 1-3 syllables at most, unless you’re literally adding Elves into your game, in which case ignore this advice.

Yeah, I like to keep things simple, so anything I come up with will likely be short and very corny

Right now, the only country name I’ve come up with is Chero, which is literally a shortened version of the Native American tribe my family hails from. Cherokee

Seriously, thanks for the advice tho, it helps out a ton

1 Like

How about a sequel where Eirika tries to bring Lyon back from wherever the Demon King sent him? And Innes gets all butthurt because Eirika doesn’t have feelings for him, then becomes the main antagonist cause he’s all possessive. Lyon comes back and Naglfar’s his pompous a** and finally gets Eirika, as Lyon x Eirika is the only canon pairing.

Can’t tell if srs or not. It sounds like Eirika learned exactly nothing from Lyon’s tragedy, and I’ll bet she accidentally revives the Demon King by mistake and he possesses Innes or sth.

2 Likes

So basically, FE RD, Sacred Stones edition.

In case you haven’t been reading the previous responses, the project has changed from a fan made sequel to a full custom hack with an original world and all that stuff. I’m planning on making a new thread when I actually have progress, but I’ve been rather lazy lately so who knows when that will be.

1 Like

Lol. Well, he does disappear into some abysslike place. That could be a thing. Lol.

I see. A new world custom hack sounds good. I was kinda messing with my post. Lol.

…He dies, he doesn’t “disappear”.