Amusing ROMhacking Glitches Thread

Someone please figure out how to do this intentionally. I’m assuming it’s related to the palette-cycling code that’s used to make flashing green letters (e.g. for A rank supports) and the animated shiny colours for status screen titles.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know how I failed. (The Japanese message is a Game Over, I think.) The annotations are used as a poor man’s editing and there’s a recording watermark, don’t murder me. I blame all my face swapping.

3 Likes

Going into the heart of the danger zone

4 Likes

This is how real soldiers fight! They lift their blade and make the enemy jump back!

8 Likes

Will the real 1 please stand up?

6 Likes

This looks FE5 as fuck and I 100% approve.

I echo this (thinking of the possibilities of having divine weapons that glow different colors or phantom units with glowing outlines). A good place to start would be the FE7 fire dragon, since it uses a glowing orange color for its fiery wings. Maybe it’s a special color in the battle palette that points to the palette-cycling sequence?

Since we’re talking about colors cycling or w/e

I find this relevant.
youtu.be/pLhCVHk1SQY?t=33
This doesn’t actually require hacking though lol Psychedelic Idennnnnn

Nah, it’s more like, there are certain circumstances under which the code cycles some of the colours in one of the palettes that’s loaded into the palette RAM chunk (yes, the GBA reserves an entire 16MB section of the address space for palette memory, all 1KB of it), and anything that happens to be drawn with that palette therefore appears to be cycling. Actually I think there may be more than one at times. The first thing I guess is to find the ASM routines that actually do the cycling work. They should be identifiable by having constants that are pointers to the palette memory (basically, 05 in the places where a pointer into the ROM would have 08).

That’s pretty illuminating; thanks for sharing!

Gotta love how a system that can still only have 16 colors per sprite does this

The palette cycling in circles’ post is definitely the blue movement tile colors (compare it to the screen that Arch posted), which I’m hoping everyone knows actually animate in a gradient-like fashion (as opposed to being static)…

Eirika is a ghost :ghost:

13 Likes

Oh no!
Call the ghost hunters!

Someone get the ghost busters on the line

Who you gonna call?

1 Like

I see what you’re trying to do there with the stats glow though. I assume you’re piggybacking on the code that makes it flashy green? I never really understood graphics though :(.

Stats glow is palette cycling, this is alpha cycling. I’m piggybacking the code that makes the semicircle thing at the top glow. I still don’t really get graphics, but Tonc helps a lot.

Decided to get back into ROMhacking after literally a month of being sick.

…and then this happens.

15 Likes

His legs may only carry him so far, but his rainbow fabulousness knows no limits.

9 Likes

I have the opposite problem:

7 Likes