AI Problem

I’m having trouble with some AI. I give them the PursueWithoutHeed macro in the EA, so they pursue, but they don’t attack blue units immediately. When they reach the blue unit, they wait for a whole turn, and then they attack.
What I want to happen is for them to wait (which is working fine), and then when a certain area event is triggered, they start pursuing and attacking, but they won’t attack until a turn later.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Which game is this?

Have a read through this thread. CHAI is an odd command and it doesn’t quite work the way that you think it does so you may have to make some custom AI settings rather than use the macros. in fact, I would suggest never using the existing macros because we now know enough about the AI that they’re a bit obsolete.

I’m using CHAI in FE7. I’ve looked at the thread, but I’m not sure I quite understand it. This is my first time messing with AI, and it is somewhat strange.
I’m currently changing to [0x00,0x02,0x02,0x00].

I believe that CHAI only works on the first 2 bytes of AI so the 3rd byte may be the problem here. Maybe just try setting that to 0x00 or something in the initial AI and see if you get any difference.

Oh. Only the first two bytes are affected? That makes so much sense because why not?

I’ve tried a few other things, and it still happens.
Is changing from [0x00,0x03,0x00,0x20] to [0x00,0x02,0x02,0x00] going to cause problems?

Reading on the AI documentation, should the third byte be 0x08?

Actually, the CHAI changes the first three bytes. The fourth byte (the one screwing you over right now) stays at 0x20, preventing enemies from attacking right away. Give this a read, and set the starting AI of the enemies to [0x03,0x03,0x09,0x00] instead. This way, they stay in place like guarding enemies and can attack right away when you use CHAI on them.

Hmm… That fixed one of my problems. The AI seemed to be working off of an activation area before, but now they immediately run at you, which is good. The problem is that tey still walk up to you, but they don’t immediately attack. They will wait a turn after getting to you before attacking.

Interesting… Do you mind showing the codes you used for your chapter, or should I not ask for that here?

AI codes? Sure.
I’m using [0x00,0x03,0x00,0x20] for guard, then [0x00,0x02,0x02,0x00] when they start pursuing now.

Change the first code for guard to [0x03,0x03,0x09,0x00]. That should work.

Success! Thank you so much. Everyone here is so helpful. What a great community.