A Chinese FE8 hack---the Crystal of Wisdom

Maybe you don’t know all these things.If you know,I think you will support MisakaMikoto.

Eeh I’m opposed to it.

i think it will be a waste of time and those who still want to use someone elses work is still gonna take it. People still break rules and honestly who reads terms and conditions, codes of conduct and stuff.
I’m not saying that ‘why make a rule if people are going to break them’ i’m saying even if this license or whatever gets put in place, people will still violate it if it ever were to exist.

Those who use sprites unknowingly will just get a slap on the wrist saying please don’t do that. That’s the way it’s always been and I don’t see how we can do anything more.
Most people who actually get their shit stolen (read: not us) get pissed that their work gets nabbed, but I think they would also realize the futility of trying to stop theft at this point.

there are already rules and guidelines and passing of word of mouth that theft is against the rules anyway.

also lol but making something like this seems like a huge blanket statement speaking for all artists, for lack of a better term

alssoo ‘theft’ is sometimes just accidental picks from google searches which naturally would completely miss rules in general.

i honestly don’t understand why we still discuss the inner workings of art theft here. it goes without saying that stealing is something you shouldn’t do. The most you can do to stop art theft is have the artist’s themselves say what should and shouldn’t be used: if something is open source or whatever.

like seriously, that’s fucking it.

1 Like

I won’t be opposed to it, but tbh it is difficult and meanningless.

1. difficult
    There are so many spriters in the community and can you ensure that all of them are for it? I think we should aspect their own will. If he or she claims that his or her sprites can be used without permission, then no questions. If not, a permission is quite necessary.
    2)meaningless
    The guys who lack the sense of copyright don’t need your usage license at all. In fact, they will continue stealing things even if they have no license because they don’t care it at all. On the contrary, the guys who have the sense will ask for permission even if nobody reminds them.

I bet that he won’t come here. You can contact with the administrator of that forum to remove the thread. None of my business, or someone may say that I interfer his zone. In my zone, I remembered that I posted a topic to discuss his problem and banned his account last year.

oh i was just spitting a ‘what if’ scenario if he did the same thing and acted the same way.

wait you have a history with this guy?

Yeah, a quite long history. @siguld @Jiege @zhawhjw

1 Like

story time!?

In fact, I even have got his photos and home address.

This is my biggest problem with sprite theft. It selfishly penalizes only the people who follow common courtesy, while discouraging artists from sharing their work. There’s not much we can do to combat the issue directly; but thieves are the ones who shouldn’t be able to publish, not the other way around.

People shouldn’t have to publish their work in fear of theft, just because “it’s the internet so I’m entitled to EVERYTHING.” It’s important to me that FEU is a safe space for artists of all skillsets. Whatever we can do to accomplish that is what we need to do as a community.

Here’s the thing, sprite thieves don’t get much out of it, and they lose a lot more. As an example, if we suddenly found out every animation in Bloodlines was stolen from some chinese spriter (Maybe Cipher_Lee idk) then what would happen? Ghast would get berated by the community, people would stop playing his hack, and his support/interest would die immediately. Maybe he’d have one or two fans still, but the vast majority of us would be so disgusted by the theft that he’d never be able to go anywhere in the fandom and post his hack without everyone knowing.

And let’s say he finds some tiny niche forum, like that one forum Niharu found where the people were editing a bunch of SF spriter’s works. Like 10 people there play his hack aaaaand that’s it. No wide appeal. People still play it yeah sre, but it’s equivalent to making a mod for some game and sharing it with only your friends, only something something copyright theft laws possibly applying.

So is it worth it? No. At worst, the original artist has their work taken and misused/credit pirated by someone else, but the thief gains little or nothing from it. So I say give them a fair shot to say ‘No I didn’t make this’ and if they lie, out them. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation, but only a day to tear it down.

I guarantee you that people still played the hack; just like plenty of people still played FE7if and FE8Girls. You’re just minimizing the harms. If someone steals assets smd keeps the hack private, the harms aren’t as severe. What’s really the issue is publication. The artist loses control over their work and how it is presented, and the thief gets an asset to improve their own presentation–the benefit is entirely one-sided, even if there are consequences enforced by social norms in the English community.

2 Likes

Yeah, those are great points. Of course, the person can also make a new account down the line later on too and then nobody knows who they are, and that sucks as well. Then the destroyed reputation means nothing.

Whoa, talk about going on the deep end of the whole “it’s free if it’s there” idea.

[quote=“Klokinator, post:56, topic:1009”]
Let’s say someone posts some new project and it has sprites from DoF in it, maybe some animations, idk. Anyway, you, intrepid reader, notice it’s clearly not the creators work. Instead of saying “Hey I caught you, thief!”, instead, try saying something like “Wow! Cool sprites/animations/whatever! I can’t believe you made those yourself!”

When the person reponds, if they correct you and say “Oh no, actually I didn’t make those! Those came from some other hack.” then you should respond with “Ohhh okay. You should ask the original hack author for permission and then post credits, otherwise it will confuse someone. Plus, it’s also against the rules.”

Why do this? Because if you jump out and attack them claiming you know it’s stolen, they do not have the chance to clear up confusion.
[/quote]Problem is that’s never anyone’s first thoughts when something like that happens. Nothing ever gets civil in situations like that.

[quote=“Crazycolorz5, post:61, topic:1009”]
Would you be opposed to us drafting up a english-community-wide (at least suggested) usage license?
[/quote]I personally think it’d be more convenient to just make everything free to use from the get go, but that’s just me. People will still steal sprites and stuff even when a license is put on it and there really isn’t much way around that.

[quote=“MisakaMikoto, post:72, topic:1009, full:true”]
In fact, I even have got his photos and home address.
[/quote]…That’s it? Please tell us more.

If the person returns from exile having learned their lesson, I don’t see why we should care all that much. Most people should get a second chance; if the behavior persists, account evasion could turn into a game of whack-a-mole, but it’s more of a hassle for members to create convincing alts than it is for staffers to ban accounts. There will always be ways of evading punishment for this sort of thing. IP bans can be avoided by proxies, e-mail based bans can be circumvented with another e-mail address, etc.

What’s most important, in my opinion, is curbing the “need” to steal by supporting the accrual of public resources, and ensuring that the repercussions of stealing outweigh the benefits, not just in theory but in practice.

3 Likes

Yeah, in fact it seems the only forum that still allow his posts since that event, but his reputation was torn down by himself not me.

No, FE7if and FE8Girls have their highlights so they are worth. However, his hacks have only stolen sprites. In fact, I have not downloaded them because I don’t want to waste my bandwidth and time. I bet that there are few people fond of his hacks.

I agree with it. Then let’s give him a second chance. If he apologises to us, we will forgive him. OK?

As a Chinese hacker, for he felt very dislike this behavior @Jiege

Oh my god,you are too water that I can’t imagine.Why are you so water?You must be made up of water.@fqyd

Kid, you’re so diao, buy insurance for you in your family?@Jiege

He should definitely apologize to the people he stole from, and to the Chinese hackers for his nasty reaction. Personally, I still would not let him post the hack if it contains stolen artwork.

I don’t know what any of this is supposed to mean?

But let’s all remember to stay civil. Welcome to all the new Chinese members! I hope you all enjoy your time here at FEU.

Water we even talking about now? Insurance? I hope we have water Qing insurance.