A Chinese FE8 hack---the Crystal of Wisdom

Why so many familiar animaions? Who made them? Permission? Credit?

PS: I have his photos and address.XD

Most of what they stole was from TU or from fe7if(which had itā€™s stuff stolen from various people here).

i donā€™t even understand the personā€™s response though; like what even is the last part lol

And it seems weā€™re still the only community that has wonky over-31 stats and not nice looking ones like that hack :frowning: .

1 Like

poor TLPā€¦ getting their stuff snagged :\

the creator of that hack sounds like a cuntrocket

1 Like

maybe you should take a peek at it :B

As for the over-31 stats, it is not his work.

And frankly itā€™s annoying/would be great if we could steal their asm XD

This translation is now the highlight of my day ahaha

Tell me we can borrow this permanently, please.

Iā€™m slightly disappointed that they seal mugs and animations, yet they still use vanilla mapsā€¦

Right? I guess the power of the language barrier prevents our map software from being useful to them.

No need. The trick is quite simple. Whatā€™s more, over-31 is not his work. I just hope he is able to do that, but it seems that he can only steal sprites.

As a Chinese hack despise himļ¼

I think heā€™s pretty much asking why us Western community hackers take so much pride in copyrighting our stuff.

Itā€™s like saying ā€œOh, itā€™s there so why canā€™t I use it?ā€ which Iā€™ve seen in pretty much every ā€œYou stole my work who gave you permissionā€ scenarios started by our community.

I think the last part is supposed to be an analogy thatā€™s basically asking ā€œWhy do we making such a big deal out of this?ā€

No wonder why we donā€™t have a good over-31 stat display. Our stuff isnā€™t open-sourced like theirs.

I donā€™t quite understand that myself. If you make something, doesnā€™t it make you proud to see people think itā€™s good enough that they want to use it as well?

Itā€™s a courtesy to ask before you use, unless itā€™s part of a public resource collection. I donā€™t think thereā€™s really a problem with that mindset, but thereā€™s not much we can do about it when they donā€™t speak our language. The author seems quite rude, regardless.

Public resources are the only real ā€œsolutionā€ to art theft; if people have enough to work with available to them, they wonā€™t really need to steal things that arenā€™t specifically marked ā€œfree to use.ā€ It isnā€™t a perfect answer, by any means, but it would certainly help.

2 Likes

nice car iā€™ll just take it
nice shirt iā€™ll just take it
nice meal iā€™ll just take it
nice x iā€™ll just take it

seeing something wrong yet

itā€™s literally just ask; itā€™s no wonder that many of the people whoā€™ve had their work stolen rarely ever post things in the public eye anymore

1 Like

Oh boy itā€™s /that/ discussion again.

The difference being that if I take your car, you no longer have a car. If I ā€˜takeā€™ your sprite, you still have it. Iā€™ve merely made a copy, of which unlimited copies can be made.

1 Like

Itā€™s not about the specific thing, itā€™s about how the concept of ownership applies. Artists own the works by retaining authority over their usage. When they post them publicly, that is an exercise of their ownership, not a license for anyone to come along and violate the artistā€™s wishes just because ā€œoh well itā€™s on the internet now it belongs to EVERYONE!ā€

[quote]
Oh boy itā€™s /that/ discussion again.
[/quote]Iā€™m sorry, did I start up something for once? Whoops.

[quote]
The difference being that if I take your car, you no longer have a car. If I ā€˜takeā€™ your sprite, you still have it. Iā€™ve merely made a copy, of which unlimited copies can be made.
[/quote]I think a general mindset is that if itā€™s not ā€œright-click copy pasteā€, donā€™t take it. Stuff like that canā€™t be easily replaced when taken. If itā€™s all digital, itā€™s very easy to duplicate it effortlessly. I get the feeling that they do it under the impression that it wonā€™t hurt the original creatorā€™s feelings.

copy-paste was a mistake

itā€™s the idea that itā€™s exactly the same
and who said taking my car meant never coming back, you can bring it back and I still will report you for grand theft auto

stop being so specific, why do you think I included

No. Itā€™s not. Thatā€™s a fallacy. Itā€™s always been a fallacy.

If I take your car and then return it any x amount of time later, youā€™ve been deprived for that amount of time from driving your car.

Short of moving a file off your hard drive and putting it onto mine, copying a sprite is not theft. You still have your sprite. You are not deprived of it.

Thatā€™s the fallacy, you implied ā€˜copyingā€™ = ā€˜theftā€™. If you had said me scanning your car and poofing an exact copy into existence and driving off with it, then itā€™s no longer a fallacy.